RRCA Awards Youth Grants for 2011
$15,000 distributed to youth running programs across the country including 10 new programs - ARLINGTON, Va. - (December 16, 2010) - The Road Runners Club of America (RRCA) has announced that $15,000 has been granted to deserving youth running programs throughout the U.S.
Starting in 2007, the RRCA has granted $5000 annually to deserving youth running programs around the country through the Kids Run the Nation Fund. The Kids Run the Nation Fund is designed to provide needed resources to launch and support youth running programs around the country as an opportunity to address the on-going inactivity and obesity crisis facing today's youth.
After significant financial support in 2010 for the Kids Run the Nation Fund by RRCA members and individual donors, the organization has been able to increase their overall Kids Run the Nation grant funding to $15,000 for the year.
The Kids Run the Nation grant applications are reviewed by the grant selection panel which includes David Cotter (RRCA Vice President), Dan Kesterson (Youth Runner Magazine), David Epstein (RRCA Western Region Director), Brent Ayer (RRCA President), Kelly Richards (RRCA Board Member) and Jean Arthur (Montgomery County Road Runners Club President).
The panel reviewed 77 applications for programs that collectively serve more than 20,000 youth around the country. While all applicants are deserving of funding, the following programs were recommended by the selection panel and approved by the RRCA Board of Directors to receive a Kids Run the Nation grant. Ten grants will be used to launch new youth running programs and the remainder will support existing youth running programs.
The following twenty-two youth running programs were awarded Kids Run the Nation grants:
* Boston Center for Youth and Families Running Club, Boston, Massachusetts
* Black Hills Runners Club, Rapid City, South Dakota
* Basset Grade School - Rock Solid Program, Basset, Nebraska
* Endeavour Elementary School, Cocoa, Florida
* Penguin Pacers at William Tyler Page Elementary School, Silver Spring, Maryland
* Erin Dudley Forbes Charter School Kids Run for Fun Program, Lincoln University, Pennsylvania
* Hampden: Kids Run the Nation Program, Hampden, Maine
* Raider's Running Club, Indialantic, Florida
* Banner Running Club, Peoria, Illinois
* YMCA Afterschool Running Program, Boca Raton, Florida
* Be Change Running Group, Sacramento, California
* Callahan Elementary School Run/Walk Club, Callahan, Florida
* Running is Elementary, Paducah, Kentucky
* Dennis Chavez Elementary School Runner's Club, Albuquerque, New Mexico
* Hidden Hills Elementary School Running Club, Laguna Niguel, California
* Courtland Elementary School Cougar Cub Fitness Club, Spotsylvania, Virginia
* Longfellow Blazing Lions, Eau Claire, Wisconsin
* McDowell Wellness Center's Fit Kids Program, Danville, Kentucky
* LRC - Y Running Group, Lakeland, Florida
* MRTC Kids, Memphis, Tennessee
* Run Portland, Portland, Oregon
* YMCA Kid's Club After School Fit and Healthy Program, Salisbury, North Carolina
For a complete listing and more, go to: www.rrca.org/services/news-entry/rrca-gives-15000-to-youth-r...
Copyright © 2015 American Track & Field Athlete a Fortius Media Group, LLC Publication